Great American Smokeout 2020: Get the support you need to quit today
Emory Report | Nov. 17, 2020
Emory will observe the Great American Smokeout on Nov. 19, encouraging tobacco users to quit for the day or begin their tobacco-free journey. Many resources are available for those ready to take the step.
Emory will celebrate the American Cancer Society’s Great American Smokeout (GASO) on Thursday, Nov. 19. Each year, GASO is a starting point for tobacco users to start their quit journey or try quitting for the day.
Benefits to taking this step include:
- Lower blood pressure and heart rate
- Improved circulation
- Reduced risk of cancers and heart disease
For those who want to start their quit journey, prepare a plan that includes:
- Setting a quit date
- Letting family and friends know
- Identifying triggers
- Outlining helpful coping strategies
Emory offers support to help you quit for good. Free resources available for employees include:
- Quit for Life: Work one-on-one with a coach and receive nicotine-replacement therapy
- Faculty Staff Assistance Program: Get help managing emotions while quitting
- Tier-Zero Medications: Tobacco-cessation drugs are covered at 100% for employees who are on an Emory medical plan
Research shows that combining several methods while quitting is more beneficial than one method alone. For additional resources, visit here.
Giving up tobacco is a journey, but it’s not impossible. Those who aren’t trying to quit can help support colleagues, family members and friends in this decision. The American Cancer Society outlines a few ways you can assist.
In 2018, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that cigarette smoking in the United States had reached its lowest at 13.7% of the population, yet 34.2 million Americans still smoke cigarettes.
The decision can be difficult, the journey long, but with support and intention you can quit for good. Continue making changes to assist in your day-to-day health and well-being.
For any questions regarding the resources available at Emory, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.