Emory 'Stands by What is Good,' says president in 2013 Annual Report
Emory Report | Feb. 11, 2014
The report, "Standing by What is Good," celebrates a detailed and diverse record of extraordinary achievement.
In his annual report, Emory President James W. Wagner commends faculty, staff, students and alumni for their work in 2013 to uphold the challenge of Atticus Haygood, the eighth president of Emory College, whose quote, "Let us stand by what is good and try to make it better," is chiseled onto the front gate of the Atlanta campus.
The report, "Standing by What is Good," is available online and celebrates a detailed and diverse record of extraordinary achievement.
The report notes a number of Emory's significant accomplishments and outstanding recognitions in 2013, including:
- Receiving The 2013 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award from "Insight into Diversity" magazine and being named to the 2013 President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll;
- Strengthening the University's commitment to service and intensive campus-community partnerships through such programs as the Atlanta Music Festival, Our Graduation Generation program, and the Emory-Georgia Tech partnership;
- Building on its commitment to the humanities and ethics as evidenced by Paul Simon delivering the Richard Ellmann Lectures and the visit of His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama;
- Evaluating and demonstrating the value of the liberal arts for society, as evidenced by the work of the faculty and (or through) the Commission on the Liberal Arts;
- Continuing the quality of excellence of the faculty and students of Emory’s nine schools as evidenced by their numerous awards and honors and contributions to Emory and society;
- Strengthening the unique value of Emory’s residential liberal arts education in the context of a major research university with a top-ranked academic health sciences center;
- Attaining a second-place finish in the Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup Division III standings for the overall Emory athletics program, led in no small measure by the women’s swimming and diving team, which won its fourth consecutive national championship; and
- Continuing to receive financial support from friends and supporters who help provide the resources necessary for a major research university.
The report also contains numerous charts, as well as consolidated financial statements.
This year's online report again uses a single-page, responsive design to make it easy to view and interact with stories, multimedia and financial data on mobile as well as desktop devices.